Face Palm moment

General discussion about C3 Corvettes
MaineVette
Administrator
Administrator
Tell us about your Corvette: 1971 Coupe, restoration in progress.

Face Palm moment

Post by MaineVette » Sep 4th, 2016 11:29 am

I spent a several hours yesterday afternoon chasing an electrical gremlin. I've been working to wire up my electric fans and needed a power source that was keyed. I found what I thought was a good source but decided it was worth verifying that it was in fact keyed. In any case, I hooked up the battery, connected the relevant terminals in passengers compartment, turned on the key but got no juice anywhere. The starter solenoid was getting power but that was it.

After chasing down false leads (loose connectors in the fuse block, wrong wiring in the passengers compartment, etc) I honed in on the fusible link as the likely culprit. The only problem was, I couldn't find it. Long story short when I dropped the body back onto the chassis the portion of the wiring harness that includes the fusible link - and that ties into the starter solenoid - got hung up on top of the bell housing and I missed it when I wired the car. Out of sight, out of mind. Doh! When I was looking at my starter I counted three electrical connections - one from battery and two other connectors which I thought were from the wiring harness. Wrong, the two other connectors were for my electric fans! The problem is that everything in the engine compartment is so tight it's nearly impossible to see anything and trace wires!

In any case, once I hooked up the harness to the starter solenoid everything works great. Amazing how that works, isn't it.

Someday I'll finally be able to drive my Vette, but for now I'll just admire all the pieces... :willy:

Track my progress at The Corvette Restoration Page http://www.corvette-restoration.com